When it comes to working in any laboratory, lab safety is of the upmost importance. Ignoring safety rules when working in a lab could result in disaster and place you and those around you at risk. So whether you're new to the lab environment or a seasoned lab veteran, here we take a look at some general lab safety guidelines and best practice rules, to help ensure you stay protected.
· When it comes to lab safety, common sense can go a long way to ensuring you stay protected. If you are unsure about something, it's always better to ask someone else for guidance and don't handle chemicals or equipment you are unsure of.
· Keep your work area clean and tidy, and clear up any spillages immediately.
· Never eat or drink in the lab.
· Long hair should always be tied back to avoid any nasty accidents.
· It's important to always wear adequate protection such as safety goggles and a lab coat when working with hazardous materials or equipment.
· It's also vital when working in a laboratory environment to remain vigilant and report any accidents immediately.
· Don't forget to wash your hands before leaving the lab too!
You should aim to know the location of safety equipment such as fire extinguishers in the laboratory and how to use these correctly in case of an emergency. In addition, it’s also important to know the location of first aid equipment and be aware of any emergency procedures.
· When working with chemicals its best to treat each as if it were hazardous to avoid any nasty surprises, and never smell, taste, or touch them.
· Always read labels carefully so you know exactly what you're dealing with, and never uses chemicals that are unlabelled or whose labelling is otherwise unclear.
· When handling chemicals it's also best practice to never return any unused chemicals to their original bottle, and to always dispose of excess chemicals properly.
· Be careful when handling glassware and avoid using glassware if it’s cracked or chipped.
Here at Edulab we know firsthand the importance of lab safety and are a leading supplier of an extensive range of laboratory equipment to meet your individual needs and requirements. For more information about our range of products and services please do not hesitate to contact us and a member of our knowledgeable team will be happy to help you with your enquiries.